Because, why not a teepee for your dog, right?
My husband and I have been looking for an alternative dog bed for months and have had zero luck finding something unique that wouldn't break the bank. We had this ugly crate up since we first got Tobias, but he's been so good we haven't had to use it very much. For months it's just sat there being a catch-all for his dog toys. Something had to be done! After hours of scouring Pinterest and Google (I know, such hard work), I stumbled upon teepees!
Now granted, these were teepees for children, but Tobias is pretty much our child at the moment, so I figured it'd work. Plus, it'd be at a smaller scale!
The possibilities are endless depending on what kind of fabric you use or how you decorate, but we kept it as simple, easy and cheap as possible. Everything came out to be about $30 give or take and we love the results!
- 5 48" Wooden Dowels (we got ours at Home Depot)
- Painter's Canvas (again, Home Depot)
- Jute Twine (would you look at that? Home Depot has them too)
- Power tool (to drill through the dowels)
- Drill 1/8" holes into each dowel, about 3-4 inches from the top. This step is to ensure that the twine is securely tied into one another. This step may be omitted if you tie strong bands or rope together and can be sure it's tight.
- Line them upright and space out evenly. Have one opening be larger than the order for the "door".
- String the jute twine together and secure tightly.
- If you have time, wash the painter's canvas so that it's soft and not as wrinkly. (You can substitute this with any fabric you'd like.)
- Drape the canvas around the dowels and secure with the clothespin.
- Trim the bottom excess so that it isn't as long.
- Decorate accordingly!
Tobias wondering what the heck I'm doing.
Of course if you were a master sewer, you can do a lot with the opening, the trims, etc., but let's be honest, I really don't think Tobias cares! I added a bunting banner because it reminded me of camp and it really screams, "Hi, I'm a teepee and a fun dog lives here."
Check out this gem that I snapped on his Instagram. Yes, I said his Instagram. I'm that person.